Gary Kinsey Collection

 

The following Post Cards depict what you would have seen or done at Silver Lake Amusement Park. Photo's are some of the Gary Kinsey Collection.  Click on picture to enlarge. Click "Back" to return to page.

Ariel View of the Silver Lake Park.

Main entrance to Park about 1914.

Arrive by train from Cleveland (Woodland Avenue), Akron, Elyria, Canton, and surrounding areas.

Some came from Cuyahoga Falls by trolley. The First Trolley Car came to Silver Lake in August, 1893. Sign on entrance to park reads, “Silver Lake Park, Admission 5 cents always, closed on Sunday.”

Silver Lake Band may greet you at the entrance as you arrive. Most of the men were from Cuyahoga Falls. Click to enlarge.

Will Dailey Steamer ( see Steamboat's Page) was active at Silver Lake for 17 seasons, and had done its work well without ever having had an accident. She was 85 feet long by 90 feet beam. Built by Wm. H. Dailey of Cuyahoga Falls in the spring of 1883, and carried many thousands of people, 510 being its largest load, was blown up on June 13, 1900 and replaced by the Steamer "Mayflower".  Click to enlarge.

Taking a ride on the Electric Launch to the Amusement Park or around Silver Lake.

The "Magnolia" was 36 feet long, carried 25 passengers and was copied after similar ones used at the Chicago World's Fair. In the Background is the island which was built during the winter of 1902-3 on a sand bar. Old railroad ties were used as a foundation, and sand and clay were placed over these, then a layer of top soil.

The steamer Chautauquan was the last, and the largest, of the steamboats on Silver Lake. Built in 1910 on the shore of the Lake by the Lodges, it had two steel cigar-shaped hulls, 85 feet long. There were two decks capable of carrying600 people. Mounted between the hulls was a large paddle wheel, twelve feet in diameter. Plate glass above and on the sides permitted passengers to watch the paddle churning water. This boat had its own power plant, wireless equipment, and brass band. When the Park was sold in 1918, the boat was dismantled and moved by Frank Baker to Springfield Lake.

Post Card evening view of the Chautauquan on Silver Lake. For further information on these Steamers view "Steamboats".

This merry-go-round was only one of several used at the park between 1888 and 1895. Fify piles driven into the lake, on which was built an oak platform seventy feet square. The platform supported the first of the newly patented jumping horse machines to be seen in this area.

You can slide down the toboggan or paddle around in a conoe. The Toboggan was the most successful design of those used at Silver Lake Park. The structure was made of wood and metal, which needed frequent repair, and lasted for almost eighteen years. The starting platform was thirty feet above the water and provided fine entertainment for both bathers and spectators.

Post Card of visitors out for a lovely ride in a canoe on beautiful Silver Lake. The Dance Pavilion in background.

When Willisle Island was first built in 1904, it had a fine enclosed harbor or lagoon large enough for several rowboats. The building was the peanut stand from the Park that had been moved across the ice to be used as a picnic shelter. View Willisle Island for more information.

RETURN - Table of Contents Return - Slide Show Forward - Kinsey Collection II


Contents | Bears | Train | General | Indians/River | About Silver Lake | Dedication Speech | Amusement Park | Photo Gallery | Gallery II | Gallery III | Gallery IV |Airport | Lodge Sr.| Geo. Lodge | W.R. Lodge | J. Stow | Wm Wetmore | Steamboats | W.Island | Slide | Swan | School | Incorporation | S.L.Photos | Beautiful S.L. | Eve. Shadows | Genealogy | R.H.Lodge,Jr Obituary | O.E.Lodge,Obituary | Links | Kinsey Collection | Slide Show | Misc Obits |