Photo Gallery III

 

This huge hollowed hard maple tree section, six feet in diameter, in which was cut a door and openings for windows, was the ticket office to the aquarium.




Oxen and Work Wagon. Oxen or horses were used to haul logs throughout the Park. In the winter they pulled the wagon with logs over the frozen lake to build Willisle Island. This view is of the center of the Park in late fall. The water fountain in the center of the picture was located where the path to the bathhouse leaves Silver Lake Blvd.



A ride on the Pony Driving Track. CLICK on photo to enlarge it. Click on back arrow on task bar to return to page.


Baseball Field and Grand Stand was located about Bellaire and Millboro Rds. circa 1900


Refreshment Stand, Old Dining Hall and Public Tables were located in the area about were the Pavilion was later built. circa 1890 CLICK on photo to enlarge. Click on back arrow to return to page.



Roller Skating Rink located to the right of picture. Open air building.



Figure 8 Coaster and baseball park. CLICK on photo to enlarge. Click on back arrow to return to page.
Each tank weighed about a ton and used about 2 1/2 tons of water to fill them. It was located on Lot #5. The interior had cement art work done by George Lodge and C.Edward Kendall. There were various fish, sunfish, blue-gills, rock-bass, perch, suckers, shiners, mullecs. bull-head, pearl-fish, gold-fish, and sea-lions. The sea-lions were sold to the Buffalo Zoo after the first season as they required too much feed. After the Park was sold in 1918, the Aquarium was presented to Stow to be rebuilt into the Community Church of Stow. Left of Aquarium is the Panther Cage.

Photo taken at the Amusement Park by John Ballard (no relation to the Lodge family. Click on photo to enlarge. Click "Back" to return

Published in Akron Beacon Journal on October 14, 1979. Courtesy of Myrtle Ross, Silver Lake Resident



Early Autos - Cars arrive for Summit County Outing in 1908 - but the number of familes owning automobiles wasn't great enough to keep the park in business when rail transportation to Silver Lake was stopped during World War I. AUTOS: Left to right; Rambler, second and fifth cars are of the same make and probably Royal Tourists. The third and fourth cars are Oldsmobiles. The sixth may be a Lozier or Winton and in the background is either a Pierce Arrow or Cadillac. Click on photo to enlarge. Click "back to return

Published in Akron Beacon Journal on October 14, 1979. Courtesy of Myrtle Ross, Silver Lake Resident.





In 1888, Lodge installed the newly patented jumping horse merry-go-round on a platform set out over the lake called the Rockaway. It was the first of its kind in this part of the country. CLICK on photo to enlarge.


Japanese Rolling Ball Game Building

CLICK on photo to enlarge.

Post Card Courtesy of Joe Cannon


Silver Lake Park Nursery and Toilet Building.

Click on photo to enlarge.

Post Card Courtesy of Joe Cannon




Silver Lake Park Photo Studio. The Studio was located at the North End Corner of the Pony Track. (Pony Track Photo upper right side.) Pony Track was located at the North End of Silver Lake near the Figure 8. When the Park closed the Studio was moved to Lodge Drive.

Pony Track Photo

Click on photo to enlarge.




Silver Lake Park Photo Studio. Picture taken in 2007. The Studio was moved to Lodge Drive, Lot 3. Note changes made to Studio. It is still lived in today.

Click on photo to enlarge.


RETURN - Table of Contents RETURN - Photo Gallery II FORWARD - Photo Gallery IV


Contents | Bears | Train | | General Indians/River | About Silver Lake | Dedication | Amusement Park | Photo Gallery | Gallery II | Gallery III | GalleryIV |Airport | Lodge Sr.| Geo. Lodge | W.R. Lodge | J. Stow | Wm Wetmore | Steamboats | W.Island | Slide | Swan | School | Incorporation | S.L.Photos | Beautiful S.L. | Eve. Shadows | Genealogy | R.H.Lodge,Jr Obituary | O.E.Lodge,Obituary | Links | Kinsey Collection | Slide Show | Misc. Obits |